Italian Fennel Fantasy Bake
3 Medium to Large Heads of Fennel
2 Large sweet Onions
2 Large Bulbs of Garlic Roasted
½ Cup Fresh Basil
¾ Cup Grated Parmesan-Reggiano Cheese – preferably 24 month
2 Tablespoons Fennel Seed toasted and ground in spice mill or coffee bean grinder or, 2 teaspoons fennel pollen
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop fennel and onions into approx. 1” pcs. (Keep the them separate as they can take varying times to roast). Toss with the olive oil to coat well. Spread out (separately) in one layer on to sheet pan lined with silpat, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roasted in 400 degree oven until soft and just a bit charred in spots on the tips. Approx 30-40 mins depending on quantity and size of chop. Allow to cool
- Peel off just a few layers papery layers from the garlic and slice off the just a thin layer off the top to just expose the cloves. Place upside down in baking dish and pour olive oil on top of blubs to coat generously and to have a ¼” at bottom of dish. Roast at 400 degrees till cloves are soft – approx.. 30 mins, test with fork. Allow to cool. Once cool, squeeze out garlic cloves from garlic and place in small dish
- In food processor, place roasted fennel, onion, garlic, olive oil from roasted garlic, basil and fennel seed / pollen. Process till fairly smooth (a few small pieces are fine).
- Put in bowl and mix in shredded parmesan cheese and salt & pepper to taste
- Put into shallow baking dish and bake at 400 degrees till hot – approx. 20 – 30 minutes
- Served will grilled bread brushed with olive oil or in thr summer serve with some fresh raw veggies for dipping and cocktails of Hendricks Gin, Fevertree Elderflower Tonic a few peppercorns and a wedge of the freshest cucumber you can find!